Daal and Amaranth Scramble
2 hr 25 mins
A healthy, nutritious and tasty side dish.
Course: Side Dish
- Bengal gram (chana) dal 1/3 cup
- Red gram (toor) daal 1/3 cup
- Chili powder 1 teaspoon, or to taste
- Asafetida powder ¼ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil 3 tablespoons
- Mustard 1 teaspoon
- Red chillies 4-5, broken into pieces
- Finely chopped onion 1 big (100gm approx.)
- Chopped amaranth leaves 3 cups, generous, and firmly packed
- Grated coconut ¼ cup to garnish, optional
Wash and soak both the daals together for 1 ½-2 hours. Drain and grind into a coarse, thick paste using a 2-3 tablespoons of water. Add Chilli powder, asafetida and salt.
Place the daal mixture in greased idli plates and steam for 15 minutes. (I use a Panasonic Automatic Cooker). Cool the steamed cakes slightly, remove from idli plates and crumble them roughly.
While the daal cakes are steaming, heat the oil in a fry pan, preferably non-stick. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add red chillies, stir for few seconds. Add onion and fry till light brown. Add Amaranth leaves and salt. Cover and cook on low heat till the leaves are tender. If there is any liquid in the pan, cook uncovered till it is absorbed.
Add the daal crumbles and cook on medium low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with grated coconut. (Optional)
Serve as a side dish with a rice based South Indian meal.