Spinach Pasta Casserole
1 hrs 5 mins
This nutritive, filling and easy to make casserole is ideal for one dish family meals.
Course: Main Course
- Oil 2tablespoon (preferably olive)
- Butter 2tablespoon
- Crushed garlic 8cloves
- Diced onion 1 cup
- Diced red/green capsicum 1 cup (discard seeds)
- Dried oregano ½ teaspoon
- Dried thyme ½ teaspoon
- Finely chopped spinach 5 cups, generous
- *Sliced mushrooms 350-400 gm (I have used a mix of crimini /milky and enoki mushrooms)
- Chilli flakes 1 teaspoon or to taste
- All-purpose flour (Maida) 3tablespoon
- Milk 300ml (at room temperature)
- Fresh cream 100ml (at room temperature) (see notes)
- Cooked corn kernels 1cup
- Cooked pasta 3cups, generous
- Grated cheese 150gm
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra butter to grease the dish and dot the cheese.
- *Use a mix of any of your favorite mushrooms.
Heat butter and oil together on moderate heat. Add garlic, cook till aromatic. Add onion, cook stirring till it is pale brown. Add capsicum, sauté till it is slightly softened. Add the herbs, stir a couple of times. (If using fresh herbs, use 1tablespoon of each) Add spinach. Cook till it is wilted. Add mushroom and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chilli flakes.
Scatter the all- purpose flour over the vegetables in the pan and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Lower the heat and stir in the milk. Increase the heat to moderate and let the mixture begin to boil. Simmer it for 1 minute. Stir in the cream, corn kernels, pasta and ½ he grated cheese. Add salt and pepper, mix well and switch off the heat. Transfer the mixture into an 8-10 cup capacity baking dish, greased with butter.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Dot with a tablespoon of butter. Bake in a hot oven (190C) (I use Panasonic OTG) till the pasta mixture is heated through and the cheese is melted. (15-20 minutes) Serve hot.
Note: For a lighter casserole, omit the cream and increase the milk to 400ml.