Steamed Egg Curry
Course: Side Dish
Ingredients for steamed egg
- Eggs 4
- Spring onion 2 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves 2 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil to grease the 2 dish pan
Ingredients for the gravy
- Oil 2 tablespoon
- Black pepper corns 1 teaspoon, heaped
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) 2 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies 2-3, cut into pieces
- Garlic 8 cloves, minced
- Ginger 2 teaspoon, minced
- Onion ½ cup, minced
- Chilli powder ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Tomato 1 big, blanched, peeled and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Thick coconut milk 100 ml (1/2 packet)
Method for steamed eggs
Grease the 2-dish pan well with oil. Pour 2 cups of water in the cooking pan of Panasonic automatic cooker, place the 2-dish pan in position and switch on the cooker. (The pan has to be hot before pouring the eggs in it) When the water begins to boil, lightly beat the eggs. Add spring onion, coriander leaves, salt and pepper. Pour it in the 2-dish pan and cover with the lid.
Steam the eggs for 6-8 minutes, till they are set. Switch off the cooker, remove the 2-dish pan from the cooker and leave aside to cool.
Method for gravy
While the eggs are steaming, prepare the gravy. Lightly crush the pepper corns and fennel seeds Heat the oil in a fry pan, add the crushed pepper and fennel seeds. Fry for few seconds. Add the minced garlic and fry till light brown. Add ginger and onion. Cook stirring till onion is light brown. Lower the heat, add all the powders, and cook stirring for few seconds. Add the tomato, cover and leave on low heat till it is soft. Add 1 ½ cup of water and salt. Increase the heat. When the gravy begins to boil, add the coconut milk. Cook stirring till the gravy begins to boil again. Lower the heat, let the gravy simmer for 1 minute before switching off the heat.
Run a plastic spatula round the edges of the steamed egg disc. Cut the disc into 1 ½ cm cubes, with the sides of the spatula, using it like a knife. (A knife may scratch the pan) Ease out the egg cubes from the 2-dish pan and add to the curry. Simmer the curry for 2 minutes and serve hot with rice or chapathi.